Dr. Stephanie Owens of Owens Chiropractic & Rehabilitation Center works with hundreds of athletes every year who are looking for non-invasive and drug-free treatment to help them recover from an injury, reclaim their health, and get back in action. In her practice, Dr. Owens finds that lower back injury is one of the most common issues she sees among her athletic patients. So whether you're a weekend warrior or a serious competitor, read on to learn more about this injury and how Dr. Owens can help.
Top 3 Common Lower Back Injury Related To Sports
- Muscle strain: sudden or powerful movements or lifting something heavy may lead to a strain in one of the many muscles within your lower back. This often feels sore and achy, and your back may be tender to touch. A strained muscle may also present with spasms or "knots" as well.
- Disc bulge or herniation: twisting and bending (or some other high force) may cause the inner gel within a spinal disc to move out of place or leak out into the surrounding area, which can lead to sharp pain and stiffness in the back. If the disc fluid or disc itself puts pressure on a nearby spinal nerve, then it can lead to nerve impingement and pain, weakness, and numbness in the lower leg, too.
- Spondylolisthesis: a type of joint subluxation in which one vertebral bone slips forward onto the vertebral bone directly below it. This occurs due to a combination of overuse, wear and tear, and frequently repeated flexion and extension (such as with rowers or weightlifters) in the back. Typically, a part of the vertebral bone fractures, which allows it to move out of place. This often presents with back pain, leg pain (if a nerve is impinged), and hamstring tightness.
...And Top 3 Ways Our Cincinnati Chiropractor Can Help
Whether you're a runner, weightlifter, rower, football player, or some other kind of athlete, chiropractic care can be a great help to you if you ever hurt your back during your sport of choice. Here are 3 ways that services from Cincinnati chiropractor Dr. Owens makes a difference for her patients:
- Naturally relieve pain and inflammation (through the use of chiropractic adjustments and soft tissue massage)
- Accelerate tissue healing (with corrective exercises, therapeutic massage, and physiotherapy)
- Prevent chronic or recurring problems (with postural screening and lifestyle and nutritional guidance)
This last point is especially important for athletes, who may have been more likely to be injured in the first place due to poor body mechanics or impaired neuromuscular control. Dr. Owens can skillfully and meticulously study your common movement patterns--both in day-to-day life and sports-specific--and help you determine what you may or may not be doing that could be putting your lower back at risk.
Are You Dealing With A Sports-Related Lower Back Injury? Let Cincinnati Chiropractor Dr. Owens Up Your Natural Recovery Game!
Tired of getting sidelined by your pain? Cincinnati chiropractor Dr. Owens is standing by and ready to help you recover from a sports-related lower back injury, whether acute or chronic. To schedule your first consultation, call 513-784-0084 today!